Language of Materials
English, although if Irish language oral/life histories become available in the interim, then we plan to include them.
Text documents and audio files (wav format).
Demonstrator Project Description
Lifetimes will be a cross-searchable, thematic digital resource that will comprise a comprehensive record of changing lives and times in Ireland from the foundation of the state. Built on oral and life histories deposited in the Irish Qualitative Data Archive (IQDA), Lifetimes will document the life stories of Irish people who grew up in different historical periods, including some of our oldest residents. It will also create a dynamic user interface where individual members of the public and local community groups can submit and share their recollections and experiences of changing social life in Ireland. As we enter the ‘decade of commemoration,’ Lifetimes will provide a unique support to researchers who seek to develop new understandings of Irish social change, and an opportunity for members of the public to appreciate and engage with the research process.
Subject to careful archiving protocols, this digital resource will provide:
- Searching across life history datasets
- Browsing across life history datasets by theme and historical period
- Visualisation of data by time, theme and place
- Structured access to limited data not subject to licensing restrictions
- A facility for members of the public to contribute their own life stories and memories.
How this Project Contributes to the Technical Development of the DRI
Lifetimes will provide a robust demonstration of the capacity of the DRI to:
- provide innovative, value-added processing and delivery of qualitative social science data to researchers, educators and policy-makers;
- establish and maintain rigorous standards for research documentation and the preservation of informant confidentiality;
- open up funded research outputs to new user communities.